The educated consumer can avoid taking unnecessary risks when buying property with a septic system. Arrange for a separate septic system inspection before your next real estate purchase.
Things To Keep In Mind:
- Water conservation prolongs your septic system life. Install low ﬂow shower heads and toilets.
- Space laundry loads through out the week and use a front-loading washer, they use 1/3 less water than top loaders.
- Septic tanks must be pumped, regularly, at least every 2-3 years.
If you also have a pump tank, have it pumped when you pump your septic tank.
- Pump your septic tank through the large central manhole, not the small bafﬂe opening.
- Sewage grinders and garbage disposals increase solids build-up in your tank.
- No septic tank additives have been proven to be beneﬁcial for septic tank operation. Some may even be harmful.
- Do not ﬂush harsh chemicals, paint, thinners, or cooking grease down your sinks or toilets.